I’m One of the muses, A common wood nymph roaming around Parnassus, Happy with my little sweet pea. With her delicate, fragrant flowers Carried on long, slim stalks, She captivated me. I ran to her flaming with desire. I am flaming. Burning Blazing with desire. Too hot for my sweet pea. Because she’s so delicate, So delicate for me. As I touch her, she transformed into ashes. I burnt her. And out of a haze, you were formed. Like smoke given out by fire. A fireweed that sprang up in the burnt over area. A replacement, I thought. You quenched my thirst. Suffuse my hunger. My desire. I came to you for a crown And you gave me a kingdom. You made me eat on a golden plate And drink from your cup of diamonds. But like a common pitcher plant, Cut your base open And there you’ll find my body’s remains trapped inside. A pitfall in the middle of the forest. I will name you Venus? The goddess with a seducing brilliant red trap. Open to all beings that needs nurturing. Show your bosom and all will crave for your milk. From a butterfly, you turned me to an ant. When I brushed only slightly against your skin, You closed within an instant. Rigid spines on the margins of you blades interlock tightly. As soon as I was trapped, You digested me. Used me as a nutrient material. I know this is about to last for only a week. By the time your leaf reopens, You’ll be reedy for other sufferers. Trapped inside, I accepted my fate. Then there she came one spring day. My little delicate sweet pea. Now a spring beauty in full bloom. A low perennial herb. With narrow, succulent leaves And loose cluster of white and pink flowers. But your leaf has closed. I cannot escape.

Chapter 9: Searching for the Answer  

10/02/2008

More YoRika in this chapter..>XD




“Finally, we’ve reached our destination…”
“We could have been here earlier if you just said that we’re already lost.” Rika answered back with a sarcastic tone.
“Gomen… It was already dark when I went to Sayu’s house before. That’s why I can’t seem to remember the path that we took last time.”
“Excuses…”
“It’s the truth! Please don’t be angry with me…” Hitomi quickened her pace and faced Rika. She was expecting to see Rika’s angry face but instead, Rika was trying her best to stop her giggles.
“You’re troubled right? Hahahaha!!!” Hitomi’s concerned face was immediately replaced by a frown.
“WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE TO MAKE FUN OF ME!!!” Hitomi screamed in frustration. Rika quickly covered her mouth.
“Shhh, we’re here to infiltrate Sayumi’s house before her parents return. We don’t want their neighbors to become suspicious with us so keep it down.” Rika removed her hands from Hitomi’s mouth after she nodded in agreement. Rika wiped her palms on Hitomi’s sleeve.
“Ewww, saliva..”

……….
“This is it! The book we’re searching for… I really wish that I just said my plan to Maki… So she’ll be the one to do this instead of me… Now I have to read this ‘thick’ stuff? So annoying…”

Risa looked at the guard behind her and sighed. She sat on the floor and started scanning for important contents of the book.

………………..
“I wonder what she’s doing right now. I hope that she can understand that book and be able to explain what she has read… if she really read it.” Maki sighed as she looked around the shelves for a history book. She took one and brought it to a nearby table. She skimmed the book until she opened a page showing the map of their area in the 16th century. She took a quick look at the map in the book and stood up to get a current map near the newspaper shelf to compare it. She saw that some of the sites were still present until now.

“I hope she can find out the exact place…”

She took out Miki’s laptop and opened the game. She installed it after she received the cd from Hitomi earlier. She almost screamed when a hand touched her shoulder.

“What are you doing here Ms. Goto?” Maki looked up and saw their vice-principal.

“Ohayou gozaimasu, vice-principal Abe. I’m just reading some stuff about our History.” Natsumi observed her thoroughly. It seemed that Maki’s swollen eyes were still evident.

“I’ve heard about what happened to your sister. Is this the right way to pay tribute to your sister? You should stay in your house if you’re just going to play online games.” Maki sighed and logged out the game. Natsumi stopped her and motioned her to go outside. They went into the parking lot and walked near a crimson red car. Natsumi got from her pocket her car key and disabled the alarm.
“Please, go inside.” Maki obediently followed and soon enough, the two of them were seated in the back seat.
“The principal and I were observing your group two days ago. Your sister was caught in the hidden camera playing a game in our computer room during Konno’s wake. You were also seen in that video together with Ms. Yoshizawa. What is that game she’s playing?” Maki tried to be calm amidst the intense glare their vice-principal was giving her. She was surprised when Natsumi took her laptop, placed it on her lap to take a look at it.

“Maiden’s curse? How’s this played?” Maki took a last look at their determined vice-principal. She sighed and prayed that nothing bad will happen to her. She gave her the controller and headset.

“Read the lines in the journal…”

…………
“Oh God… I don ‘t like seeing blood…” Rika closed her eyes as she hugged her friend. They have successfully infiltrated the Michishige residence. As soon as they entered using the back door, they quickly went up the stairs to find the journal. They accidentally opened Sayumi’s room. The bodies of their friends were removed but the blood was still there. Hitomi immediately closed the door.

“Hey, you’re trembling. You sure want to continue this?”

“Hai… Just give me some time.” They stayed in that position for a while until Rika’s shivering vanished. Hitomi was the first one to look inside the next room to check for other traces of blood. She saw the master’s bedroom. She saw some traces of blood near a chair.

“I think I’ll be the one to look for the book. Considering that Sayumi’s place of death was different from those two, I guess this is the room where she died.”

“I’ll go with you… I think I can handle it now.” Rika smiled and entered the room first. Her knees trembled lightly when she caught a glimpse of the bloodied chair. She went directly to the table and slide out the drawer.

“Hitomi! The book! It’s here!” Rika took out the journal book hidden under another book. Hitomi quickly went beside her and take a look at the bizarre-looking journal.
“Creepy… It’s the same as the one in the game.” Hitomi held the journal in her hands. She tried to open it but it wouldn’t cooperate. Hitomi passed her fingers on the fangs of the snake and it somewhat ‘bit’ her.

“Itai! Still sharp after all this years?” The blood from her fingers went directly to the mouth of the snake and they heard a ‘click’ sound. Suddenly, the journal opened.

“So, the game’s voice activated and this journal’s blood-activated’.” Rika joked. She took out a tissue from her hand bag and wiped the blood from Hitomi’s fingers.

“Let’s go back to Maki’s house and then let’s just read this one there.” Hitomi suggested. They closed the door and descended the stairs. As they were walking towards the back door, Rika noticed something near the computer table of Sayumi.

“Wait! Is that the original CD case?” Rika run towards the computer monitor. She held up a black colored CD case. It has a symbol in the front. Hitomi took the case from Rika’s hands.

“This is the star of David… This symbol’s usually used in occult practices.” Hitomi flipped the case and saw the place where it was made.

“Nakako Games Incorporated…. I can’t believe that the manufacturer’s place is near. Let’s check it out. There’s still so much time left.”

……………
“You’re playing this kind of game? It’s so brutal!” Abe commented after playing the game for an hour. Maki looked up from reading the magazine that she saw on Natsumi’s car.

“I know for sure that you enjoyed playing that game. It’s a very good way to relieve your stress.”

“I don’t understand youth today! How come you’re enjoying this kind of game? There’s so much blood, gore… death!” Abe looked at the monitor again. She was caught by the hooded figure and pushed her against a chair. Out of nowhere, Shurikens flew and hit the chest of her character. The figure scratched her face before the words ‘The End’ was seen in the monitor.
“It’s a good stress reliever. That’s why we’re enjoying it. If we’re angry, instead of punching or kicking the person, we’ll just vent it out to a game like Counter Strike… or Tekken… or this one.” Abe eyed Maki. She was thinking whether it’s alright to ask what happened to Miki that last night. Aside from the investigation of the police, she and the principal were doing their own investigation about the deaths of their students. They narrowed down the persons involved to the students who were on-line gamers; specifically the group of Maki.
“Goto-san, may I ask you, how did your sister die?” Maki remained stoic after the question was said. She was expecting this kind of question the first moment she saw their vice-principal.
“You see, the dogs liked my sister’s bone that’s why they’ve eaten her up.”
“This is not a time for jokes, Goto-san. It’s your sister that we’ve been talking here.” Abe reprimanded. Maki sighed and leaned on her chair.
“I’m not joking. That really happened. Dogs ate her up last night. If you don’t believe me, why won’t you ask the police about it?” Abe gave back the laptop and stood up.
“Ok, I’ll do that. We’re holding a wake ceremony for your sister on Monday. I can’t believe that we’re losing our students one by one. Please be careful. We don’t want another death to add to the list.” Maki nodded and said goodbye. She went back to the library.

“I hope Risa is digesting what she’s reading right now.”

………………
“Tokugawa Ieyasu defeated his rivals and took over the renegade feudal lords in the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600. After 3 years, Ieyasu established the Tokugawa Shogunate which lasted for many years (1603-1867). He divided his land to the three kinds of daimyo; the Fudai daimyo or member clans; Tozama daimyo or outside clans and the Shimpan daimyo or the related clans. Each daimyo had to maintain two residences; one in Edo (now Tokyo) and another in his fief.

Some researchers believe that there’s a 15th daimyo in the Kanto area instead of the only 14 known daimyos. It’s not included in the official history books but they saw it in a book used by a certain shaman living in that time. Legend has it that in this certain place (near Tokyo or Shinjuku today), a town was headed by the rich but harsh daimyo Kamei Hironori. Mysterious happenings happened 2 years after his marriage with a palace girl named Eri.

A year before Ieyasu died, he ordered the historians at that time, not to include the place where Kamei ruled. Historians in the 19th century who found the journal and read its contents decided not to publish it to the public for the same reason as shogun Ieyasu. The only information that they released in June 6, 1966 was that the wife of daimyo Kamei was burned alive as a punishment for killing girls in their village.

One of the facts released was that there was a trial done in secret. It is believed that Hironori saw on only one account how Eri killed a palace girl. He then hired witnesses exaggerating the scene that he saw. Before the decision was made, Eri made an account that she was only doing it as a form of revenge for the daimyo whom she accused of concubinage.”

“Geez, her life can be made into a movie. I’m sure that it will become a block buster hit.”

“Some of the accounts for murder were: Scratching the faces, scrapping off of the skin, taking out the internal organs, decapitation, burning, drowning, hanging, impalement, draining of the blood of all her victims. A certain shaman made it known to the court that human blood, when used together with black magic, can make the person who drinks it, preserve their beauty. The judges immediately released their decision; to burn Eri who they accused of murder and witchcraft.”

“Woah, witches in Japan? I thought that it’s only in the western civilization.”

…………..
“Welcome ma’am! What type of game do you like?” Abe eyed the name plate of the girl working in a local game store.

“Makoto? Can you give me a copy of the game called ‘Maiden’s Curse’?” The girl looked at her confusedly.

“Maiden’s Curse? What type of game is that?”

“It’s really a cruel game. I guess it belongs to R-18 type of game.” The girl keyed in the information. She shook her head.

“I’m so sorry ma’am. But there’s no game which has a title like that. I’m also a gamer and I haven’t heard that one before. Maybe it’s an underground game.”

“Underground? What’s that?”

“Underground games are sometimes used for gambling. They are released in certain game forums where the players will bet their money.” Makoto explained. She saw another customer enter the store.

“Is that so? Thank you very much for that information.” Makoto nodded and went to the next customer. Natsumi got her cell phone and dialled a number. A couple of rings and the other line answered.

“Moshi-moshi Iida-san. I have some juicy information about that group.”

“What is it?” Iida asked. She was inside her office, scanning the data and pictures of her dead students which she asked from the police.

“The game that group is playing is called ‘Maiden’s Curse’. I’ve asked the game store and they don’t have any idea about that game. The person I’ve asked said that it’s possible that it’s an underground game. She also said that it’s sometimes used for on-line gambling.” Iida’s eyes grew wide. She stopped reading and focused her attention on her phone.

“What?! Gambling?!” Iida thought for a while. “Is there a possibility that those girls lose in the game and can’t pay the required bet so they just killed them?”

“I’m thinking about that one too. But when I played the game, they didn’t ask anything about money.”

“I think we need to investigate this further.”

“Hai, I’ll be right there in five minutes.” Abe clicked the button and put her cell phone inside her pocket. She grabbed her car key from her purse and opened the door of her car.

”Well then, I think I need to go back to the library. I hope Goto-san is still there.” Natsumi inserted the key to the slot and started the engine. She fixed the rear view mirror in front of her so she can moved back her car smoothly. The mirror immediately shattered as the reflection of the mirror passed the back seat of her car. Natsumi caught a glimpse of the hooded figure sitting in the back seat. She looked back but was struck by something. She managed to take a look at her bleeding chest and noticed that Shurikens were the ones responsible for hitting her. She looked at the shattered mirror and noticed the figure moving forward towards her. She was impaled to her seat and due to the loss of blood; there wouldn’t be any chance for her to get out alive of that situation.

“Th…the …g.. game..”
She was losing her consciousness but she can still see clearly the face of her monster-like tormentor. She tried to scream when it sip her blood from her chest. When the figure raised her head, Natsumi was shocked to see its face morphed into a beautiful young chinky-eyed lady. The girl smiled before scratching her face. Natsumi closed her eyes and drew her last breath.

…………
“Are you sure that we’re on the right track?”

“Just because we were lost before, it doesn’t mean that it will happen again.” Yossie replied. She suggested taking a short cut towards the place indicated in the CD case to cut the time in half. They were going to check out the place of production of the game that Konno was supposed to pilot test. They made a turn to the right and saw a three-storey building right ahead.

“See, I told you.” Yossie smiled to herself. Rika looked around the place and took out the CD case. She smiled back at Hitomi.

“I won’t feel confident right now. We’re lost.”

“What? Why won’t you trust me? This is Sakuma St. right?” Hitomi moved closer to where Rika was standing.

“Yes, this is Sakuma St. indeed… But we’re searching for SAKURA St.” Rika pointed at the romaji letters near the bottom left corner of the case. Hitomi smacked her head in frustration.

“ARRGGHHH!!! What’s wrong with me today?!”
………….
“Risa!” Maki stood up as she saw Risa coming out of the room after almost three whole hours of waiting. Risa stared at her. Maki got her message. She pretended to return the books that she was reading from the shelves. She fixed her things and went out of the library. After 5 minutes of waiting, she saw Risa coming out of the door. She approached her right away.

“Tell me what you have read!”

“I’ll tell you right after we’ve eaten our lunch. I’m really REALLY hungry! And besides,” Risa paused for a while, “you need energy to digest what I’m going to share to you.” Maki smiled slyly at her.

“You’re really a genius. I didn’t think that plan. For your effort, I’ll treat you to lunch.”

……………….
“I guess this time; you’re the one who’s lost.” Hitomi commented. They went inside a convenient store and look for a road map to search for the street they were looking for. They have found the street but they had a hard time finding the correct address.

“We’re not. We looked at the map right? I’m sure that it’s here somewhere.” Rika insisted. Hitomi grabbed the case from Rika.

“Look here. It’s written here that the number is ‘2344’. But we’ve searched this street from end to end. And the last number is ‘2343’. My hunch tells me that the game publishers we’re hiding the real place of production… No wonder.” Rika snatched the CD case and took one last look at the number. She gave a blank look at Hitomi.

“What? Come on… just take the truth. I told you we’re lost”. Rika snapped back from reality and smiled. She brushed Hitomi aside and went towards a small trail among the tall trees near the side of the last house.

“My instincts tell me that it’s just beside this ‘2343’ house. Come on, let’s go!” Rika took the lead. They followed the trail deep into the forest. Rika and Hitomi saw a clearing right ahead. Rika couldn’t take away her eyes from the structure in front of her.

“Seen a ghost? Why are you staring at that old building?” Hitomi waved her hand in front of Rika. Rika snapped back and looked at Hitomi questioningly. She held Hitomi’s face and turned it back towards the direction of the building.

“Take a good look… Isn’t it familiar to you?” Hitomi blinked several times at the building in front of her. Her eyes grew wide when she realized what Rika wanted her to see. Suddenly, her phone rang. She got her phone from her pocket and answered it.

“Moshi-moshi? Oh, Maki…. Hai…. Got that… You won’t believe what we found out too… Sure…. We’ll go there now. Ja!” Hitomi clicked the end button and put her phone inside her pocket again.

“What did she say?” Rika asked curiously. While Hitomi was talking to Maki, she was busy taking some pictures of the old building with her camera as a sort of evidence to their two friends in the library.

………………..
“So, care to share what you have read?”

“Can’t you just wait a little? I’m still eating here. And besides I don’t like to repeat what I’ve said to you to Hitomi and Rika.” Risa replied before biting off a large chunk of cheese burger. Maki bit her lip and leaned on her seat. She grabbed her can of soda and drank its contents. Risa smirked at her.

“You know that I don’t like waiting that’s why you’re doing this to me right?”

“No, I just don’t like repeating what I’ve said. That’s why let’s wait for those two to arrive… ok?” Risa as Risa opened her mouth to bite another piece, the door of the restaurant opened.

“Speaking of the devils.” Risa uttered. Maki looked back and saw the two waving at them.

“Osoi yo.”

“Gomen. It’s your best friend’s fault. She always gets lost.”

“Huh?! Hitomi?!?” Maki eyed her best friend who was grinning crazily. “You weren’t like this before. You’re our GPS. What happened to your system?”

“Don’t know. Maybe it’s because I’m hungry and I can’t focus.” Hitomi took Risa’s burger and bite off a large part.

“Hey! That’s mine! Buy one for yourself!” Risa retrieved her burger from Hitomi’s hand.
“I’m still your sempai so… “

“Yo-chan, will you just sit here. I’ll give you my food.” Hitomi quickly sat beside Maki and put some French fries on her mouth. She extended her hand and offered it to Rika. Rika took a piece and stood up.

“What do you want to order? I’ll go and buy some food.”

………..
Maki was getting bored at waiting. She really wanted to ask what they’ve found out but it seems that her companions wouldn’t say a single thing until they’ve put some food on their tummies. As Hitomi chewed the last piece of her Fried Chicken, Maki sighed out loud.

“Finally! We can go back to business. What have you found out?”


AddThis Social Bookmark Button


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster

Header by Maki