I’m One of the muses, A common wood nymph roaming around Parnassus, Happy with my little sweet pea. With her delicate, fragrant flowers Carried on long, slim stalks, She captivated me. I ran to her flaming with desire. I am flaming. Burning Blazing with desire. Too hot for my sweet pea. Because she’s so delicate, So delicate for me. As I touch her, she transformed into ashes. I burnt her. And out of a haze, you were formed. Like smoke given out by fire. A fireweed that sprang up in the burnt over area. A replacement, I thought. You quenched my thirst. Suffuse my hunger. My desire. I came to you for a crown And you gave me a kingdom. You made me eat on a golden plate And drink from your cup of diamonds. But like a common pitcher plant, Cut your base open And there you’ll find my body’s remains trapped inside. A pitfall in the middle of the forest. I will name you Venus? The goddess with a seducing brilliant red trap. Open to all beings that needs nurturing. Show your bosom and all will crave for your milk. From a butterfly, you turned me to an ant. When I brushed only slightly against your skin, You closed within an instant. Rigid spines on the margins of you blades interlock tightly. As soon as I was trapped, You digested me. Used me as a nutrient material. I know this is about to last for only a week. By the time your leaf reopens, You’ll be reedy for other sufferers. Trapped inside, I accepted my fate. Then there she came one spring day. My little delicate sweet pea. Now a spring beauty in full bloom. A low perennial herb. With narrow, succulent leaves And loose cluster of white and pink flowers. But your leaf has closed. I cannot escape.

Chapter 19  

4/09/2008

Rika was shocked at the revelation. She was so happy with Maki that she didn’t even noticed that she was hurting Reina. She turned back towards Reina and sat again on the chair.



Rika was shocked at the revelation. She was so happy with Maki that she didn’t even noticed that she was hurting Reina. She turned back towards Reina and sat again on the chair.

“Wh… What… How… When…” Rika didn’t know what to ask to her. She didn’t even know where to begin with. But then, she saw Reina smiling at her.

“You’re funny… I guess I had my little crush on Maki when you made me your “mailman” during class hours.”

“I’m sorry… I didn’t know that you feel something towards Maki.” Rika butt in. Reina just continued.

“I just want you to know the pain I felt when I saw you in that Sakura tree. I’m glad that I have Eri and Sayu who I could turn too. The scene yesterday… made me realize something.”

Rika was listening intently on what Reina was telling her.
“If it weren’t for you, Maki would still be the cold loner she used to be. If it weren’t for you, she would not be part of the futsal team whether in our section or the varsity.” Reina smiled at Rika. “And if it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t have the chance to be with Maki and feel the happiness of spending some quality time with her.”

Rika was not expecting that part. She thought that Reina will blame her for taking away her crush. She didn’t get what Reina was trying to say.

“O…kay… Ano sa… I don’t know what you are trying to say to me… It seems that you’re so angry with me earlier. And then now, you tell me that you’re happy for what I did to Maki? And what did you meant by ‘What you’re feeling today and what I felt that time is the same’”?

Reina laughed at her and then waved at the waitress to get her order. Rika was somewhat annoyed by that action. She wanted to know the answer immediately and Reina was taking her time by ordering some food for both of them. When the waitress left the two of them to get their order, Reina turned serious.

“What I meant by that time, is that we’ve both experienced the pain of jealousy. I was hurt because I saw you with Maki, and I’m sure that you were really hurt when Maki would always run off… and when you saw her with Kasumi.”

“It’s Kusumi… not Kasumi.” Rika corrected and laughed.

The waitress returned with their orders. Reina got her milkshake and drank before continuing her talk with Rika.
“Oh? Sayu said its Kasumi… Well anyways, I just want you to know…. I gave up on my crush on Maki.”

Rika coughed out loud. She was drinking her iced tea when Reina told her told her that. She was surprised that her tea almost got stuck on her nose.

“Ehh?!?... You’re such an unpredictable person.. I don’t have an idea of what you’re thinking next.”

“Hehehe, Am I? Well, that’s me… but … I managed to sort out my feelings yesterday. And in my analysis, I really can’t do what you have done with Maki. I know that what you felt is love, while mine is just infatuation. There’s a lot of difference. For now, I’ll support the two of you… The three of us support you.” Reina smiled at her. “So, if you want to have fun, and forget about that girl and Maki for a while, let’s go to an amusement park and enjoy. You have to trust Maki. She will not do anything that may hurt you.”

Rika was touched at the statement of Reina. She removed her sunglass to wipe her tears.

“Arigatou…”

“It’s alright. Let’s eat now so we can go to many places.”

……….
“It’s weird… Did they go somewhere? She wouldn’t even answer my calls… I’m worried about her.”
Maki said to herself. She was standing outside Rika’s house for 5 minutes now. She baked a cake and would like to give some to Rika. Her line of thought was interrupted when someone shouted at her.

“Goto-sempai! We’re going to be late.”

“Hai… I’ll be right there!” Maki left a note at Rika’s gate before going inside the family car of Kusumi.
………

“Hey, let’s go there!” Rika said to Reina, They were in an amusement park right now. They ran towards the ticket booth of a roller coaster.

“This is really fun! I really wished that Sayu and Eri were here with us. The more, the merrier.” Reina exclaimed while they were waiting for their turn.

“Why didn’t you call them earlier?”

“I was thinking about our one on one talk that I felt awkward calling them to come also.”

They boarded the Cyclone Loop when Reina saw someone familiar near the Ferris wheel. She wasn’t able to get a clearer view because the ride has already started. It lasted for 5 minutes. Rika was somewhat pale and dizzy because of the ride. Reina immediately scanned the place near the Ferris wheel. The person she saw was still there. She excused herself from Rika saying that she will go to the cr. She went to talk to that person.

…………
“Gocchin?”

“Reina-chan?!” Maki said in a surprised voice before scanning her surroundings. “Are you alone?”

“No, I’m with Ishikawa-san.”

Reina noticed the shocked look from Maki’s face. “What are you doing here? And why are you wearing that? You know, I took Rika here to forget about you and Kasumi… Kusumi, I mean… She was really worried about you.”

“If I tell you, please promise me not to tell it to Rika. I know that she’s worried about me. I tried to call her yesterday night to clear anything about that incident in the canteen. But her mother told me that she’s already asleep.”

“Okay.. I promise not to tell her. But your excuse must be really good.”

“It’s not an excuse… This is the truth. Actually, I’m trying to save up some money to give her a gift this coming Christmas. My mother and Kusumi’s mother were really good friends. She asked me to tutor Kusumi and she will pay me. And I’m wearing this dog costume because her father is working here. I’ve asked him if he could give me an
easy job to earn some money… Since I’m a tall person, people wouldn’t think that I’m still an elementary student.” Maki explained to Reina while still giving some leaflets to passersby.

“Oh, now I get it… That’s why you always run away when you have your spare time, so that you can tutor Kusumi… Is your gift that expensive? Why didn’t you ask your parents for some money?”

“I want my gift to Rika to be special… It wouldn’t be special when I didn’t work hard for it… You should go back to Rika now. Make sure you don’t mention about me… and my job.. It’s our little secret for now. Can I trust you with that?” Maki stretched out her pinky finger. Reina intertwined hers as a sign of her promise and then ran back to the place where she left Rika.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button


0 comments: to “ Chapter 19

 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster

Header by Maki